As a mobile first region, the growth in Africa is relentless. Milestones like registering its billionth mobile subscriber; the systematic upgrading of mobile networks and the declining cost of smartphones continue to stimulate a dynamic pan African mobile ecosystem.
MEF’s free Africa eBulletin highlights the key trends, challenges and opportunities and showcases the business models and companies that are driving the African mobile economy.
In this edition, MEF member Basebone’s James McNab discusses how the right mix of content and transactional platforms are unlocking revenues in the region. The eBulletin also includes analysis from Deloitte’s Africa Telecom Leader Arun Babu from his company’s recent consumer study ‘Game of Phones’ which surveyed consumer mobile behaviour and an exclusive interview with the CEO of Tencent Africa, Greg Loubser, on how WeChat is becoming a proxy for the internet itself in the region.
Regional eBulletin: Africa Edition features
- Unlocking mobile content revenues in Africa: Basebone’s Chief Liaison Officer, James McNab, discusses the importance of local content in the unique African content mix.
- WeChat’s African Adventure: Brett Loubser, CEO of Tencent Africa Services provides insights on how WeChat is transitioning from an App to an all-encompassing platform in South Africa.
- Analyst comment: Arun Babu, Partner in the Strategy & Operations practice of Deloitte Consulting in Africa and Telecommunications explains some of the results from its most recent African consumer survey – Game of Phones
- Regional News Round-Up: key news items and recent stories from across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Spotlight on the WAMAS Awards from this year’s Mobile West Africa.
- Regional Trends and Stats: key data-points that explain the mobile opportunity in African markets.