Don’t panic! the deadline for entering the 11th annual Meffys has been extended to 8th August. To celebrate here’s 11 essential mobile facts from across the mobile landscape representing some of the categories that will be awarded in Silicon Valley later this year.
Categories include Mobile Money, Entertainment & Life Tool Apps, Social Responsibility and Consumer Trust as well as four new categories Big Data, Innovation in FinTech, Mobile Health and Mobile Education.
1. 90% of all data has been created in the last two years. The proliferation of smartphones is accelerating this growth. Business Insider estimates that by 2017 mobile users will be producing 10,000,000 terabytes of data per month.
2. 20% of apps are only used once and if an app is only opened once in seven days, there is a 60 per cent chance that it will never be opened again (Localytics App Stickiness index).
3. Juniper Research says that by 2016, 3 million patients worldwide will be using remote healthcare monitoring devices that use a smartphone as a hub to transmit information.
4. Meanwhile health and fitness apps usage has also grown exponentially since 2013. Flurry Analytics reports a 62% increase in their use over the past 6 months
5. Mobile money users are 26% more likely to purchase via mobile. Globally 91% of people who actively bank or make payment via mobile made some form of mobile purchase as opposed to 65% of all mobile media users.
Oh, and last year the largest mobile money sum via the PayPal app was $48,000… for a bulldozer.
6. The biggest single barrier to purchasing via the mobile device is trust with 40% citing it as their main concern.
7. According to the Magazine Publishers Association (MPA) latest research, 10% of tablet owners in the US now read digital magazines almost every day, rising to 13% at least once a week, 17% 1-3 times per month and 40% once per month.
8. Mobile services such as Messaging apps (including social media updates and photo sharing) are the most popular in terms of growth with Flurry Analytics recording a 203% growth in this category in 2013.
9. 17% of mobile users have downloaded an education app. Growth markets are driving this change with four of the top five countries from growth markets, providing opportunity where it is needed most. .
10. There are more than 1 billion monthly active users of Facebook mobile – that’s a staggering 79% of its total users worldwide.
11. Heavy spenders on mobile (those prepared to purchase big ticket items at $150+) tend to come from growth markets reflecting the mobile first nature of internet access in these regions. Globally Mexico (61%) Nigeria (61%) and Kenya (67%) have the highest proportion of heavy spenders and it is these markets, particularly African nations that are driving the adoption of mobile money.
There are 16 categories to enter in 2014. Judged by expert panels of international journalists, analysts, academics and VCs, the Meffys provide companies and innovators with an unrivalled opportunity to be considered for the global mobile industry’s top accolades with winners announced at MEF Global Forum 2014 in San Francisco 17th – 19th November. 2014 entries are open now until 8th August.